I had a dream….
Kjera Miranda
I was walking down a dirt path and suddenly becoming aware of my surroundings I could smell the sweetness of it, and hear the stream near by. I let myself enjoy the soft touch of the long weeds, (wheat maybe?) that brush against my hands, and twine with my fingers. I let my instincts guide me down the fork of the path heading toward the water. Then I heard it. The laughing of a young boy. I saw him sitting under a tree playing with a little toy bow and arrow (the kind with a suction cup, that sticks to hard surfaces once its been shot). He smiled at me so sweetly. His eyes were so brightly blue it seems I could physically see the love pouring out of him. I couldn’t understand this love that radiated from him, it was as if he admired all life that has ever been upon the earth. Somewhere in my conscious mind his eyes reminded me of the savior, and his smile in retrospect what I imagine the savior’s to look like. The sunlight played with his semi blond hair. Where have I seen this boy before? He seemed so familiar, yet I don’t think I’ve ever met him.
He gestured for me to follow him. I did without any hesitation; wherever this boy was headed I wanted to be! He went down the same path I had naturally turned myself down. There was something different about him. I think it was the way he moved. He wasn’t really slow, but he moved at his own pace. Even the way he moves is different, but I can’t put my finger on it. As we walked I enjoyed the burn of the sun on my face, it had to be just afternoon by the position, and scorch of the sun. (Dad would freak if he knew I was out here without a hat on) But I loved the way the sun seemed to dance on my face, the feel of the heat on my arms and legs. I avoided the shade of trees the best the path would let me in order to absorb as much sun as I could. When we had gotten to the water there was a man sitting on a large rock. He was holding two fishing poles, and had a sweet smile that reflected the little boys. The boy joined him on the rock.
“You’ve got a bite! ”The man said with excitement streaming from his voice. (The voice was familiar, yet it was another placement I couldn’t touch)
I could see the man switch the bigger pole, (which I assume is actually his) for the little one, letting the boy reel in his catch.
The fish had let go though, which really disappointed the boy. Erasing the joy that had earlier projected from his face.
“Don’t loose your hope. You can’t win every fight, like you can’t catch every fish.” This seemed to give the boy enough hope to try again.
I could somehow tell that I was leaving this place, this place of love, happiness and safety. I didn’t want to. I tried to hold on, and as I did so I could hear the man speak again, very softly to the boy.
“Don’t ever give up on life and it won’t ever give up on you. Remember, son I love you. I always have, and I always will….”
Somehow I knew the man had said the boy’s name, and I wanted to know it, but I kept slipping into the awareness that would take me away from this beautiful place. As I woke up the name came from my mouth. The name the man had called the little boy, and I instantly knew how I knew the little boy. I mouthed the name once more to myself
“Jim”
This story gave me chills. You're a pretty good writer Mrs. Miranda :)
ReplyDeleteI just got chills too- literally! You are an amazing writer!
ReplyDeleteAwe thanks guys :) I just told the story the best I could remember it. There was so much detail I had to find ways to put it in. I really wanted dad to see it and feel it too. The punctuation is off which is why I'm not an english major ;) It was nice to see Grandpa Oblad
ReplyDelete